While folks in the greater Boston area know this frequency as talker WRKO (with some maybe remembering its predecessor WNAC), it was WLAW that first occupied 680. WNAC already existed but bought out WLAW in 1953 to acquire its more powerful signal. None of the stations involved in that merry-go-round have anything related to the station in Michigan now using the WLAW call letters.
As always, Faded Signals has a much more detailed version of the story. Just click on the picture to be taken to its original post.